on, the visitor arrives at Bishop's Gate. From here can be seen
the one remaining tower of the old Derry Jail (1791) which is
now part of the Fountain Estate.
1689 siege Bishop's Gate had an extra defensive wall built out
in front of it known as a 'ravelin'. The arch was completely
rebuilt in 1789 into an ornamental triumphal Gate with pedestrian
passages in honour of King William III (William of Orange). Interesting
features include the two facial images sculpted on both sides
of the arch, representing the River Foyle (1689) outside and
the River Boyne (1690) on the inside.