the north-eastern corner of the Walls once stood Coward's Bastion.
It was removed in the early 19th century. This bastion was so named
because of its distance from the heavy fighting during the Great
at this point is Magazine Gate. Between it and Shipquay Gate the visitor
can see seven cannons overlooking the Guildhall. One of these
was presented by Queen Elizabeth in 1590 and the others were
donated by various London Guilds. On the outside of this raised
section of the Walls is a bronze plaque commemorating the heroism
of Captain Michael Browning who captained the ship Mountjoy as
it broke the boom in 1689. He relieved the city but fell, shot
dead in his moment of glory.
along, past Shipquay Gate, lies the Water Bastion where the River
Foyle used to touch the Walls at high tide.